Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chippers

Supposedly the Greeks, Italians, and some Eastern Europeans settle Ireland and set up Chippers as the story goes. If you're new to Ireland, a 'chipper' is usually the corner shop that purveys fried foods, either for take away or delivery as well. Burgers, chips(thick fries... sort of), chicken fillet burgers(pronounced "fill it" in Ireland), bun burgers(small hamburgers, usually with a lot of ketchup and onions on top), deep fried battered sausages and burgers/wurly/whorly burgers(brutal, but good on occasion), taco  chips(chips smothered in a taco-like sauce), garlic cheese chips(heavenly, with a garlic sauce I rarely see in american fast foods), sometimes pizza,  fried chicken in various forms, and my favourite - Kebabs. In Ireland, a kebabs is basically a pita with lamb, cabbage, and sauce.

I eat nearly every other meal from a chipper. It's not easy on me, but the hours I work grind most of the fat off. I am growing quite fond of chips.

If you've decided to visit the chipper in person, you'll need to know a few things:
There doesn't appear to be a line in many of them, apparently whomever speaks up gets served.
When you order a sandwich by itself, it often gets a small portion of chips thrown in.
Get a side of garlic sauce. Just do it.
The ketchup is much sweeter than American, with less vinegar. Ya get used to it.
Hell, get an order of garlic cheese chips. It will punish you but it's worth it at least once.
Do not leave Ireland without 'enjoying' a kebab from a chipper.
You must enunciate clearly, with my drawl I have gotten all manner of things I hadn't meant to order.

Prices are reasonable, except maybe near city centre Dublin.
DO NOT visit a chipper between Midnight and 2am. It will be a freaking madhouse if the doors are open. The pubs let out, or the patrons are calling it a night, and the custom is to visit the chipper on the way home. I once had to wade through tossed packaging materials, a fight, and a huge crowd to get to a chipper counter in Sligo. They barely understood me, and I didn't understand the gal at the counter one bit. Still, I managed to get my burger and chips before they closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment