Sunday, July 15, 2012

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

 I am at the Department of Enterprise in city centre Dublin. In order to start work, I need a tax ID. In order to stay in Ireland, I need a residency permit. I had neither. It's October 14th, and I have a 30 day visa because I was stupid enough to inform the Immigration officer that I had been hired by an Irish company and was going to get a work visa. I have less than two weeks left on that visa.

As you may have read previously, I had received quite a lecture in Immigration, and the stunning beauty of the Amazonian officer that berated me with questions for hours only took part of the sting away. Now I found myself in front of the next woman. Er, hurdle. I had applied for a permit and delivered the application in person only 2 or so weeks earlier. She was professional, yet very personable. She admitted that with all the Irish that emigrated to the US, that the least she could do was give me a permit so that I could stay there legally and work and pay my taxes. On my first visit I was informed that I was 'fast-tracked' for a visa and would be contacted shortly.  Today I was meant to take possession of that visa. The same officer I had met nearly 2 weeks previous stood before me. I was warned to be careful not to be taken advantage of, instructed to check in with the Immigration Control for my residency permit, and informed that she was in the process of granting my work permit, and if I could come back in one hour, it would be ready down at the front desk for me. I hate to admit it, but my eyes started to slowly tear up. I could see her smile when she shook my hand and told me, 

"Welcome to Ireland, Wesley. Go Neiri An Bothar Leat - May the road rise to meet you."


The road near the Dept. of Enterprise as I left -



No comments:

Post a Comment