Tuesday, April 10, 2012

From tech to tech

I spent many many years bouncing from tech company to tech company in the bay area. Between the noise, traffic, office politics, etc etc, I just couldn't bear it. Eventually I found myself at a field engineer job in Austin, TX. I spent the majority of my time traveling from site to site with installations, upgrades, and repairs of medical imaging equipment.

Still, I couldn't help but think there was more to life than 40 hours a week in a car or a cubical or office building. Pay was great, hours were horrible, and the travel was brutal. I often found myself with 60 hour weeks, not including the air time between 2-3 cities or more. Oftentimes I worked weekends.

In 2001, I lost that job. Was it 911, or the economy, or me? I dunno. All I know is I would never work in tech again.

At least I got to enjoy spots like Bone Daddy's during the best of times:

No comments:

Post a Comment