Monday, October 1, 2012

Pretend this post came before the last

Welcome back to October.

-This is Ireland-

I'm still relatively new, so they are giving me a lot of the very mundane work and sending me out to all corners of Dublin to get me familiar with the city and the traffic.

It wasn't too long before I started to notice something odd. There was smoke, lots and lots of smoke. And it was everywhere. Every road I was on, every street I turned, there was smoke.


"What the hell is going on?", I radio in to dispatch.

"Sorry?!" Ray came back with a combination of confusion and impatience.

"Why are there fires everywhere?"

"Saw-Wayne...It's Saw Wayne.", Ray repeated over the radio.

Saw Wayne? What the hell is 'Saw Wayne'? Ray didn't sound like he wanted to be bothered, so I went about my business. It wasn't long until I came upon several sights such as these:



These sights eventually culminated into these:





So, now it's nearly 4 in the morning, and the constant influx of charred, burnt out husks that were once automobiles the day before has started to slow to a trickle, and Ray and I are standing in front of the carnage enjoying a smoke break. Well, truth be told we had to smoke to cover the smell of lingering car death or else the toxic fumes coming off the BBQ'd vehicles, the lot nearly packed to capacity, would've made it impossible to spend any time near them at all. 

We stood there silently for a bit, listening to the rain slowly plop down upon the smoldering carriages. Occasionally you'd hear some metal settling with a sudden pop. The cars were also enjoying a bit of a smoke as well.

"What the hell is going on?", I turned to Ray.

"Saw WAYNE. Holloween... Uh.. Bon Fires...every time this year, bon fires everywhere. ", Ray lit another smoke.

"Oh! Samhain! Ah... I thought it was pronounced differently." I'm such an idiot. "Every year, just like this? Every year?", I added.

"Every year.", Ray stared at the cars blankly.

"This is crazy", I said as I began to chain-smoke another Lucky.

Ray breathed out and gave me a sideways glance,

"This is Ireland"

No comments:

Post a Comment